Wow! It’s been soooo long since I’ve even looked at this blog. So much to do and so little time. 😄 I’m still going to use Hugo for my blog, so I: updated Hugo on my laptop to the latest release, changed the theme to one that actually supports the latest Hugo, did a little bit of tweaking to make things work again and posted this.
It’s been quite a while since my last real post. Let’s just ignore that ‘Now with more Hugo’ post. :) I’ve always wanted to write about all the cool things I’m working on in my blog, but there’s just never enough time in the day. Since my last post, I’ve left my consulting position with Covestic and hired in directly at Samsung MSCA (part of Samsung SRA) as a senior DevOps engineer working on the Milk Music project.
Started using Hugo for my blog. It’s pretty nice.
At my last job, I saw the light a while ago and switched from a monolithic Chef repo to individual repositories per cookbook. In addition, I also stopped using roles and started using role cookbooks. Converting my roles to cookbooks wasn’t a huge deal because I mostly used roles as a way of identifying server types and setting a runlist. Most of my roles also didn’t have any attributes specified and I didn’t have a whole lot of roles.
So… it’s been quite a long time since I posted anything. Since my last post, I no longer work for Exlibris and am now working as a full time Devops consultant at Samsung Music in Palo Alto. Yeah… devops is an overloaded word, oh well. It’s short than System Configuration and Automation Engineer or anything else that resembles what I do. ;) It sucks being away from my home and family in NW Indiana, but at least I’m able to go home and visit every couple of weeks.
I finally spent a tiny amount of time working on my new docpad site and figured out how to get a tags working how I wanted them. Notice the tag cloud on the side. :) Yeah, it uses inline css. Oh well, it was the quickest way to just get it done. Now, if I can only find some time to write a post on the EBS cookbook I’ve been working on…
I’ve decided to give Github pages a try, so that meant I needed to give a static website generator a try. I’m using Docpad right now. It seems like it has a lot of cool features and pretty easy to use. This template is pretty nice and was shamelessly borrowed from Ben Delarre’s blog.
I found this little gem about how to always keep a particular file untouched during merges. I can think of multiple reasons that you might want to have the same named file in multiple branches of the same repo, while each branch has it’s own unique copy of that file. For me, I have a README.md file in a couple branches that I need to have unique information in it that doesn’t apply to the other branches.
I just noticed today you can easily check file permissions by selecting the appropriate bits using an array format with a range. For example, if I want to make sure that the permissions of /etc/sudoers is 440, I could do the following: File.stat("/etc/sudoers").mode.to_s(8)[3..5] == "440" So, you’re converting the mode to octal format and then selecting characters 3 thur 5. Characters start at 0 from the left side of the string.
I wrote a new KVM plugin for Ohai which gives a ton of important information about KVM guests, which is stored in the node attributes for the host. This makes it easy to find out which guests are currently on a host and other information about the guest, such as: cpu allocation, memory usage, persistence, autostart, etc. One of the things you can do once you have this plugin installed and running on the host is have the guest perform a search to find it’s host and then save that information somewhere on the guest.